Monday, August 3, 2009

A couple days later I called the farm owner, David Arnold:
A man answered gruffly, “Hello,” in a voice that sounded unfamiliar. Was this still David Arnold’s number?
I said, “Hi. Is this David?”
“Yes this is.”
“Hi. This is Jennifer Kane,” I paused for a sound of recognition, but heard nothing, “I photographed on your farm last year.” Pause
“Oh yea. I remember you. How are you?”
“I’m fine. How are you?”
“Fine.”
“I was wondering if your workers are back?”
“They are.”
“I was wondering if I could come back and photograph on your farm?”
“You can. When would you think of coming?”
“Well I can come today or sometime next week.”
“Next week would be better.”
“Okay. I’ll see you sometime next week. Thanks”

I cannot remove myself from the formality of getting the farm owner, David Arnold’s approval to photograph on his farm. Last year I had to (in my mind) call David every time I went to the farm, that is until I realized he had already given me permission to be on his farm. There was no need to continually win his approval. I put more emphasis on these verbal interactions than was necessary. This summer I still felt the need to ask him. After all it is his farm and they are his workers. Who am I to intrude ungraciously? I feel like my position should be stated clearly to him. He should know why I am here and what my motives are. It’s pertinent that I not offend or manipulate anyone. My aim in this project is to have the impartiality of a scientist and the sincerity of a friend. That is my biggest dilemma.

No comments:

Post a Comment